Thursday, November 8, 2007

Daylight Savings Ended, where's my extra hour of sleep??

I have to say, I used to really look forward to the end of Daylight Savings and setting the clock back an hour. For some reason, that extra hour of sleep always hit the spot. I had no idea the impact a 1 hour time change would have on my children. Since Sunday morning, Ethan has been waking up at 5:30 instead of 6:30. Not only did I not get that extra hour, it almost had the opposite effect when I looked at the clock and read "5:35". It felt like I got an hour less. Now Salla, on the other hand, can't seem to shift her schedule either and is exhausted by 5:30pm. It's no fun keeping her up, she makes it impossible to cook, clean, deal with Ethan, talk, think, etc etc. Seriously, it's an hour! How hard is it to stay up a little later and sleep in a little longer?? I know, I know. The day will come when they want to stay up too late and sleep in too long. I'll be ranting then as well, I'm sure.

And, here's a question to anyone who's "Ferberized" their kids. When does the training period actually end? I've been doing it for weeks now and Salla is doing very well at night, almost always no crying going down and only every so often more than 1 wake up at night. But she still cries for nearly every nap. Do I just always do the progressive waiting (checking in after 5,10, 15 min) every time she cries before sleep? I feel like she will be "in training" forever...

Ok, that's it for tonight. Hubby is still working, so I'm going to crawl in bed and watch Ugly Betty on the DVR until I fall alseep! night night

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I hear ya about the time change...we had a rough four or five days where Gunner was a CRANKY-PANTS before naptime and bedtime because he was tired and was getting up at 6:00 instead of 7:00; which meant Hudson was up at 5:30 instead of 6:30...ugh! The good news is that Hudson seems to be in much better health (just a little nose congestion that seems to be slowly getting better)and they both have adjusted to the time change. As a matter of fact, Hudson has slept the entire night for two nights in a row (11 pm - 6:15 a.m.). I swear I will give a copy of the Babywise book to everyone I know who is pregnant if this keeps up...we never even had to resort to letting him cry it out like we did w/ Gunner (we did the 5 / 10 /15 check-in with him like you are doing with Salla for naps and night time waking at around 3 months old and it did feel like it took forever to train him; but Lenny says it took a couple weeks...so hang in there, it just feels like forever). Unfortunately, Hudson does not want to nap during the day...unless it is pitch dark in his room he doesn't seem to want to sleep except for cat naps in the Bjorn, carseat & papasan....isn't he supposed to be napping alot at 2 months old? I think he just wants to eat all day to make up for not waking up at night, because I fed him every two hours today! Well, gotta run, thanks for your prayers Leah!

Kelly said...

oh I just wrote a huge a rant and I think a funny comment and it was an error and now it is gone. boo hoo

Kelly said...

summary of huge rant:
belle= wonderful sleeper
Troy= can't even handle quiet time